Made Right Here

I am posting this on All Plaidout as an ALL POINTS BULLETIN. We would love your help sharing this video with whomever you can, by any means possible. We are looking for investors and networks to fund future episodes. If you feel comfortable hosting this on your blog, your facebook page, your Tumblr, or your Twitter we would be so thankful. And if you know someone who would be interested in such a project, please share with them as well.

Longtime fans of the blog know I love a good factory visit. In May, Joe Gannon and I took a trip to Tennessee. While there, we shot video at Pointer Brand, Imogene + Willie, and at Billy Moore’s house. It was all done with the hope we’d come away with some kind of TV pilot.

The show is called Made Right Here. It’s our desire to not only show how it’s made, not only where it’s made, but to also show the people who make it. We want to tell their stories. We also asked them to show Joe and I how to make one of their signature items. We made six pairs of carpenter jeans at Pointer. We made a chambray western shirt at Imogene + Willie, and we made belts and buckles with Billy Moore.

I say we made… really, we tried and failed to make all these things. This is part of the story, too. These people are craftspeople who’ve dedicated their lives to mastering a skill, a skill that is really tough to do.

We have been sharing this with people to whom we’re connected in television for the last month or so, and we’ve received some positive feedback. One criticism is that we need to shorten the trailer to about two minutes (It’s sitting pretty at just under seven minutes right now).

Joe and I owe an endless amount of thanks to the wonderful people we met at Pointer Brand, Imogene + Willie, and of course the inimitable Billy Moore. We also must thank our team, Mr. Here Productions’ Matt Springer and Rick Page. Without their impetus, their hard work, and their abilities as producers and directors, this would still just be an unfulfilled dream.

27 Comments
  • Kiyoshi

September 26, 2011at11:45 AM

Nice video, but you guys need to change the sharing settings on vimeo for people to embed it and let others see it. People are embedding it but not being able to play it on their site (ie: tumblrs). Not sure if that’s intentional or not.

• Simon Tuntelder

September 26, 2011at4:04 PM

This is just what we needed. Great angle and well done, Max.

I’m sure, I’m not the only one looking forward to seeing more!

• Edgar Fleming

September 26, 2011at5:31 PM

really amazing idea. well done.

• Chris Adamiak

September 26, 2011at6:49 PM

Very nice Gentlemen, a bit of “How’s it made”, with a dash of “Dirty Jobs” but not dirty!!

Awesome!

• Seth

September 26, 2011at8:09 PM

this is a pretty cool idea and it would be great to see inside some of America’s great craft brands. with that being said it would also be cool to see inside some of the factories in the US that don’t make craft items. for instance I picked up a few plastic mixing bowls the other day for a couple of bucks that were still made in the US and it would be insightful to see inside that business. what is driving American production for mass market products and is this different from craft items? just an idea and keep up the good work!

• Joel R. Johnson

September 26, 2011at8:32 PM

a seriously great effort that I hope will be rewarded. somebody knows someone who wants to produce or invest in a timely show like this. posted the trailer on my blog, deadbait. best of luck gents

• Bruce Wayne

September 27, 2011at1:03 PM

I like what Seth had to say. Not everyone can be employed in a “craft” factory.

• Jesse Buckley

September 27, 2011at2:54 PM

Really dig the concept and execution. I’m the video director at DailyGrommet.com & we’ve featured a number of American made products & companies that are a great fit to your story — we create a video for each one (all under 3 minutes). Would be great to be in touch.

• unitedstyle

September 27, 2011at4:05 PM

Watched it last night. Good stuff, if a bit too quick-cut-editing for my taste, though it is similar to the style currently on tv.

I agree with Seth, it would be nice to see beyond craft, or fashion, and go to other factories in the US. An auto factory or even Lodge Cast Iron would still be guy-centric.

• American in China

September 28, 2011at1:46 AM

So great to recognize those behind American-made goods! Keep up the good work, boys!

• Karly

September 28, 2011at8:23 AM

Love this! You should get in touch with Landreth Seed Co. (http://www.landrethseeds.com/) A large, non GMO seed house that is facing tough financial times. They are definitely ‘Made in America’, as they’ve been a seed house since 1784 and were visited by both Washington and FDR. I feel like you two are made for one another. Once again, love the idea!

• Michelle Vale

September 28, 2011at4:08 PM

We are exclusively Made in NY… I am currently filming a documentary celebrating NY design and the importance of local/domestic manufacturing and have some very big name designers involved in the project. I would love to set up a time to speak. Please contact me back.

• Austin Saylor

September 30, 2011at12:49 PM

I have watched this several times. It’s so good!! I’m spreading the word 😀 I would love to see this get funded and produced. It would really be a great hit.

• RegO

September 30, 2011at2:19 PM

Nice video!! I hope that someone picks this up. Great work. Obama should use this when presenting his America Works Act

• Lindsay Harrington

September 30, 2011at7:42 PM

Hi Max, I loved your video. I would totally watch this show. Best of luck!

• John Briggs

October 1, 2011at12:18 AM

Gentlemen:

What a great video! I am writing a book, Simply American about great products made by American workers as well as issues surrounding revitalizing the American manufactoring sector. Keep up the great work! All the best, John Briggs in Seattle.

• Toby Wollin

October 1, 2011at4:34 PM

Guys – you need to come to Upstate New York – but especially to Binghamton, home of Eureka Tent, McIntosh Labs audio equipment, and so on. Go to Corning, NY for Corning everything. Go to Utica for Revere Copper and Brass and Utica Cutlery. Go to McConnellsville for Harden Furniture. Go to Plattsburgh for Schonbeck Lighting (high end crystal chandeliers). Go to Hornell for railroad cars. There is great manufacturing all over upstate New York.

• kelly

October 3, 2011at1:52 PM

Will it only be about clothing?

• doane

October 3, 2011at9:56 PM

Great job Max, very well done. This is soooo in the TLC / Discovery channel wheelhouse, could easily see it being picked up.

• Ken Grant

October 4, 2011at9:06 AM

The more people see others doing amazing things, the more inspired they are to do it themselves – I love this concept and can’t wait to see more!

• Allen

October 4, 2011at10:56 PM

It’s prety much the same as Made in America, that show John Ratzenberger hosted for years on the Travel Channel.

• Pingback:Vintage Miscellany « The Vintage Traveler

October 9, 2011at10:30 AM
  • The Joneses

October 12, 2011at8:08 AM

I think its a good start. I think you need to decide if you’re going to try to make it humorous or not. The music that tries to elicit the “this is where you should be laughing” vibe is a bit forced. I understand that it has to be more than just Max asking questions, but perhaps you can examine more of the workers family history.

• Laura Plouzek

October 13, 2011at5:35 PM

AWESOME. I’ll be spreading this around and hoping there’s more to come.

• melinda shmidt

November 7, 2011at4:37 PM

Love this video! It made my day. You guys are hilarious and I love the constant questions. Please make more – I hope you get your TV Show!!

• Pingback:Kickstarter: The American Craftsman Project

July 12, 2012at12:03 PM
  • Jonathan

July 27, 2012at6:18 AM

Great video,but be advised,
    you are displaying a ” laundry list ” for foreign
    factories to copy & return to our shores!