The May Man (is Back)
“Just like a morning in May like this….”
I awoke one morning earlier this month to Van Morrison crooning those words, and I felt compelled to make a mix. Some new (see: Wild Belle, made up of siblings of friend and designer Elise Bergman), some old (Mahalia Jackson’s “Didn’t It Rain,” recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1958 and featured in the Elton John and Leon Russell documentary The Union), and all good.
As I sail off with some good friends to Camp Wandawega this weekend, I imagine many of these songs would go perfectly with a turn on the rope swing, a long, slow gulp of New Glarus’ Spotted Cow, and plenty of cheese and brats from The Brat Stop. Whether you’re getting away for the weekend or just holing up at home, toss on some tunes and toss of your shoes, ’cause Summer. Is Finally. Here.
And wherever this holiday weekend takes you, take some time to remember those who served to protect our country.
1) Nick Waterhouse – (If) You Want Trouble
2) Wild Belle – Keep You
3) Fiona Apple – Every Single Night
4) Stevie Wonder – We Can Work It Out
5) Lee Dorsey – Everything I Do Gohn Be Funky (From Now On)
7) The Animals – It’s My Life
8 ) Joe Cocker – The Letter
9) Leon Russell – Tryin’ To Stay ‘Live (featuring Marc Benno)
10) Elton John – Take Me To The Pilot
11) The Beach Boys – Shut Down
12) Marvin Gaye – Baby Don’t You Do It
13) The Band – Ophelia
14) The Animals – Boom Boom
15) Billy Preston – Shotgun
16) Stevie Wonder – Living For The City
17) Alabama Shakes – You Ain’t Alone
18) Leon Redbone – Shine On Harvest Moon
19) Dr. John – Wade In The Water
20) The Rolling Stones – I’m Free
21) Van Morrison – Steal My Heart Away
22) Mahalia Jackson – Didn’t It Rain (Live at the Newport Jazz Festival, 1958)
23) JD McPherson – Scratching Circles
NB: Thanks, in part to Simplesinger for inspiring several tracks on this playlist.